We all love options! Here’s how to make sure your menu items are as customizable as you want them to be.
How to add a modifier group to a Menu Item
- Navigate to the menu item and either click on it and then modifiers or simply click on the fork & knife icon () next to the item.
- Click the “Add new modifier group to this item” button. Select the modifier group from the dropdown box.
- You must set quantities the min, max and included boxes. Scroll a little further down in this post for additional examples of how the min, max and included features work together.
- Min – the minimum number of options that the customer can select. If all of the items in this modifier group are optional, set this field to 0.
- Max – the maximum number of options that a the customer can select. If all of the items in this modifier group are optional, set this field to 99 (a safe number to allow the customers to add as many options from this modifier group as they desire).
- Included – if you have prices attached to the modifiers in this group, this field will allow the customer to select X options for free. For example, to allow a customer to choose 4 free salad ingredients, you would indicate 4 in the included box. The customer will be charged an additional fee for the 5th item.
- Make sure to hit the “Save Changes” button
Other Useful Features of Modifier Groups
- Set the default option – after you’ve added a new modifier group and saved your changes, you’ll see the option to “Select Displayed & Default Options.” Clicking on this button will allow you check the default option.
- For example, if you offer white rice and brown rice for sushi, you can check white rice as the default and when the customer orders it, white will already be selected in the modifier pop up (but don’t worry, they can easily select the brown rice option).
- Remove specific options – you can also remove specific modifiers in that group from showing up by unchecking the box in the “Displayed” column.
- Rearrange the order of the modifier groups – you can change the order of the modifier groups (ie, the order that the customer will navigate through when ordering the item) by using the three line icon to the far right and dragging it up or down.
How to Delete Modifier Groups from Menu Items
- Click on the menu item, then modifiers or simply click on the fork & knife icon next to the item.
- Click the red delete option.
- Hit the “Save Changes” button.
- (Pretty easy, right?)
More Examples of Modifier Rules
Let’s use salads to explore the flexibility of the min, max and included options.
If you you have a modifier group with NO prices attached to the modifiers:
- Allow the customer to add up to 4 veggies to a salad: Min 0, Max 4, Included 0
- Force the customer to choose only 1 type of lettuce: Min 1, Max 1, Included 0
If you have a modifier group with prices attached to modifiers:
- Allow the customer to add as many extra add-ons as they wish but charge after the 3rd ingredient: Min 0, Max 99, Included 3
- Force the customer to choose 1 option but allow them to choose up to 5 options and only charge for the additional 4 options: Min 1, Max 5, Included 1
Say you have want to add arugula as an option for the lettuce choice and add $.75 when the customer chooses arugula. You would need to make sure arugula has a $.75 price point in the Prices & Attributes section, and the other lettuce types should have a $0 price. When you attach the lettuce choice modifier group, use the following settings Min 1, Max 1, Included 0. When the customer choose arugula, a $.75 charge will be added.