First off, it’s worth noting that menu items cannot be deleted entirely. This is due to the fact that historical reporting would be corrupted if a menu item were to be completely deleted.
So when menu items are removed from a category, you’ll find them in one of two places:
- Attached to another category. This would be the case if a menu item existed in multiple categories, and you just removed it from one of them.
- In the “Unassigned” category. The Unassigned category exists on the Unassigned menu (it’s the very last category on the list of unassigned categories).
If it’s the latter case, you can retrieve and add back a menu item by following these steps:
- Go to Menu Items
- Click on the ‘Add an existing menu item to this category’ link (located above the ‘Add a new menu item’ button)
- A pop-up window will appear. For Category, select “Unassigned” from the drop down
- A list of unassigned/un-categorized menu items will appear
- Select the menu item you’d like to add back to the menu
- Click the ‘Add Existing Menu Item’ button to add the item back
By using the “Add existing menu item” pop-up, you should be able to avoid ever having to browse to the Unassigned category itself.